Business Studies deals with the knowledge, skills, attitudes and values critical for informed, productive, ethical and responsible participation in the formal and informal economic sectors. The subject encompasses business principles, theory and practice that underpin the development of entrepreneurial initiatives, sustainable enterprises and economic growth.
This subject will ensure that learners:
- acquire and apply essential business knowledge, skills and principles to productively and profitably conduct business in changing environments.
- create business opportunities, creatively solve problems and take risks, respecting the rights of others and environmental sustainability.
- apply basic leadership and management skills and principles while working with others to accomplish business goals.
- be motivated, self-directed, reflective lifelong learners who responsibly manage themselves and their activities while working towards business goals; and
- be committed to developing themselves and others through business opportunities and ventures.
In addition to being able to secure formal employment, Business studies will help learners to be in a position to pursue sustainable entrepreneurial and self-employment pathways. It also forms the foundation for further business learning opportunities at a tertiary level.
This subject has the following core features:
- Business Environment: This feature focuses on the different elements of the macro, micro and market business environments, as well as the complex and diverse nature of business sectors.
- Business Ventures: This feature focuses on the development of important factors that contribute towards the creation of sustainable business enterprises. A key feature is the development of creative entrepreneurs who can identify and responsibly pursue productive business opportunities.
- Business Roles: This feature covers the essential roles the learners need to perform in a variety of business contexts.
- Business operations: This feature should equip learners with the knowledge and skills to effectively manage essential business operations such as human resources, public relations, marketing and production. These need to be developed within the context of the relevant legislation and contemporary issues.